Are you passionate about increasing access to nature for all youth? If you are inspired to make a positive impact in the community and are looking to join a small, entrepreneurial team, we are looking for you! This is a great opportunity for a resourceful, detail-oriented, creative individual who wants to help us take our organization to the next level.
At Youth Outside, we believe that meaningful outdoor experiences can have a major impact on young
people’s lives. We work to ensure that as many underrepresented youth as possible have the
opportunity to connect with the outdoors in culturally relevant and inclusive ways by eliminating
logistical and systemic barriers that can hold them back. We drive change across the field through our
grant making, capacity building and advocacy work.
We are looking for a Communications Manager to lead our communications and marketing efforts,
and help elevate our brand to a broad range of constituents. This position will collaborate with the
broader team and report directly to the CEO. Candidates with marginalized identities (e.g., women,
people of color, first generation college graduates, LGBTQ+ individuals) are strongly encouraged to
● Work with the Youth Outside team to develop and implement an annual communications plan
● Develop and/or support the development of a wide range of materials, including reports, case
studies, newsletters, news releases, annual impact reports, board updates, press kit
documents, fact sheets, presentations, blog posts and others as needed.
● Create, curate, post and maintain content (text and visuals) on our website and various social
media and online platforms. Our social media channels currently include Facebook, Twitter,
Instagram and LinkedIn.
● Identify and develop relationships with media and community partners to find opportunities
to promote Youth Outside’s initiatives and our mission
● . Coordinate media requests and follow-up while serving as the secondary media contact
(behind CEO and Director of Programs) as needed.
● Manage outside vendors and contractors as appropriate (i.e. technical support, CRM support,
● Assist with other external and internal communications duties as needed.
Development & Program Communications
● Serve as a thought partner to the Director of Development and Director of Programs, assisting
with implementation of activities and communications that will help achieve the organization’s
fundraising targets and deliver messaging in support of program delivery.
● Support donor cultivation events and program recruitment activities by drafting marketing
collateral, preparing speeches, and generating pre & post event content.
● Support the generation of inspirational messaging to donors.
This position offers an exciting opportunity for an individual to bring creativity and innovation to the
communications function. We are seeking a passionate storyteller that can highlight our mission to
board members, donors, program participants and other external stakeholders. Youth Outside is
committed to supporting a thriving team and offers opportunities for professional growth.
Qualifications & Requirements
● Outstanding writing, editing and proofreading skills
●Associate or Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Communications, English, Journalism, Mass Media,Marketing or related field, or equivalent work experience
● 2-4 years of experience in the communications/marketing field, preferably in an “in-house” rolewithin a nonprofit organization
● Commitment to the equity and inclusion focus of Youth Outside’s work
● Excellent verbal communication & listening skills
● Exceptional project management skills and experience managing multiple projects and meeting
● Self-starter and able to work independently and occasionally remotely
● Strong technical and digital communications skills, including familiarity with graphic design
programs (such as Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and/or Photoshop), CRM/mass email programs
(i.e. Blackbaud, Salesforce, Giveffect, etc.) and proficiency in Microsoft Office and G Suite a plus
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $54,000 - $60,000
Benefits include: generous vacation, paid health and dental premiums, a supportive team culture,
and financial support for individual professional development activities. Successful candidate also
has the opportunity to join an employer-sponsored retirement plan.
This position is full-time, salaried position, based in Youth Outside’s downtown Oakland, CA office.
Youth Outside is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and an intentional cover letter to email@example.com.