We’re thrilled to announce the kick-off of our 2019 Hike-A-Thon! Lace up your boots, pack your trail mix, and get ready to join us for our very first hiking fundraiser!
As many of you know, the Outdoor Educators Institute, one of our flagship programs, has recently expanded to include two cohorts; one in the Oakland/San Francisco area and one in the South Bay. We couldn’t be more excited about doubling the number of participants in this critical program for the next generation of culturally relevant outdoor leaders. As our offerings continue to grow, we’re looking to YOU for support in raising the funds needed for our ongoing success. What better way to contribute to the cause than by hiking with friends and family, building community with fellow Youth Outside advocates, and maybe even winning your sponsors some prizes along the way?
Here’s how the Hike-A-Thon will work:
1) Decide whether you'd like to hike as an individual or if you'd prefer to be part of a group. If the latter, create your own team of two to six hikers.
2) Once you’ve decided, set up a personalized fundraising webpage on Classy (you can make your own individual page or set up a single page for your whole team). Youth Outside’s Hike-A-Thon fundraising page includes text you can use for your own. Your webpage will allow you to easily track your fundraising progress. When your sponsors make their tax-deductible donations online using this personalized link, their contributions be reflected on your page’s fundraising thermometer.
3) Next, spread the word! We’ve compiled a suite of resources for you to utilize in sharing news of the Hike-A-Thon via e-mail and social media. The more your community hears about it, the more successful this campaign will be.
4) Then, join us on Saturday, July 13, from 8:30 AM to 12 Noon, at Tilden Park in Berkeley, for a three-mile hike to kick off the campaign, which will last through Sunday, August 11. RSVP so we know that you’re coming and so you know exactly where to meet us. We’ll bring the snacks and drinks. You bring your team, and your passion for our work connecting youth from traditionally underrepresented communities to the outdoors.
5) Maybe that’s all the hiking you want to do this summer. Great! But if you'd like to keep hiking over the course of the next month, we invite you to do so and continue accepting donations.
6) Finally, come out to our Hike-A-Thon celebration, scheduled for the week of August 12 (exact date, time, and location to be determined). We’ll have food and refreshments, and all supporters will be eligible for some great gift prizes.
If you have any questions about the Hike-A-Thon, please contact Alberto Galindo, Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t wait to see you on the trails this summer!